AHAD NEWS ■ Indonesian MPR Chair Bambang Soesatyo deplored the slow and minimal attitude of the Republic of Indonesia's Ministry of Foreign Affairs in responding to the death of Indonesian crew members due to exploitation by Long Xing 629 fishing vessel owners from China. Not only minimalist, the Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs is also not responsive in dealing with administrative aspects for the crews who die.
"Due to the slowness and minimalist attitude, the deceased and his family did not get proper treatment," Bamsoet said in Jakarta, Sunday (10/05/20).
The former Speaker of the Indonesian House of Representatives added, as a result other people learned about the corpse and the exploitation of ABK WNI in the second week of May 2020. Though the deaths and the banning of three ABK WNI occurred in December 2019 and March 2020.
"Moreover, the virality of this event is not due to the initiative of government institutions to share information with the public. However, because of the news of the South Korean press and the citizens' actions to neutralize it," Bamsoet said.
The Head of the FKPPI State Defense Agency revealed, from the colleagues of the deceased, information was obtained that reports of the deaths and the banning of the remains of Indonesian ABK citizens on Long Xing 629 fishing vessels had been entered and received by the Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs since December 2019. Deceased colleagues had even visited the Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
In addition to reporting the identity of the crews who died, colleagues of the deceased also asked the Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs to encourage the Indonesian Embassy in Seoul in South Korea to issue or issue Death Certificates for the purposes of arranging insurance for the three deceased.
"This letter is important because insurance in Indonesia can only pay for the insurance of the three deceased, if there is a Death Certificate issued by the Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs cq the Indonesian Embassy," explained Bamsoet.
However, continued the Deputy Chairperson of the Pancasila Youth said, the request for the said certificate had not been responded to by the Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs since December 2019. As a result, the insurance of the deceased could not be taken care of for months. To help the family of the deceased who is definitely experiencing difficulties, colleagues can only give a portion of the total Rp 150 million in insurance value.
"When the information on the death and dissolution of the bodies of three Indonesian crew members began to go viral domestically, only then the Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Indonesian Embassy in Seoul moved to issue the Death Certificate. This way of working was of course very disappointing, because it could foster a negative image for the government. Indonesian citizens who have died in other countries due to exploitation, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Indonesian Embassy should be responsive to show the presence of the state and the government, "concluded Bamsoet. (red/ahn)
Bambang Soesatyo, MPR RI.